Consultation is closed
You will be contacted by a Governance Team member if you have indicated interest in presenting your submission to Council.
- Section 74 of the Local Government Act 1989 provides that a Council must review and determine the level of the Councillor and Mayoral allowances within the period of 6 months after a general election or by the next 30 June, whichever is later.
- Mayors and Councillors are entitled to receive an allowance while performing their duty as an elected official under section 39 of the Local Government Act 2020.
- Councils are divided into three categories based on the income and population of each Council and the Minister for Local Government sets the upper and lower levels for allowances paid to Councillors for each of the categories.
What is a Category 3 Council?
The three-level structure for allowances is based on Council population and total revenue. Wyndham City Council is a Category 3 Council in the structure and the Minister for Local Government has approved Mayoral and Councillor allowances, effective 1 December 2019, of up to $31,444 for Councillors per annum and up to $100,434 for the Mayor per annum. An amount equivalent to the superannuation guarantee – currently 9.5% is an additional component added to the allowance. This is scheduled to increase to 10% from 1 July 2021.
What is being proposed?
Wyndham City Council is proposing to retain the annual allowances for the Mayor and Councillors set for a Category 3 Council which are:
- Mayoral Allowance $100,434
- Councillor Allowance $31,444
You can find more information on the Know Your Council website.
How to have your say
Wyndham City Council is providing the opportunity for written submissions on the proposed allowances in accordance with S223 of the Local Government Act 1989. Submissions close at 5pm on Tuesday 1 June 2021.
- Complete the form below
- Mailing your submission to (ensure you include your details and any supporting documents with your submission)
Chief Executive Officer
Wyndham City Council
P.O. Box 197
Werribee VIC 3030
Please note: Persons making submissions may request to be heard in support of their submissions. Any request to be heard must be clearly stated within the written submission. Any person requesting to be heard is entitled to appear in person or by a person acting on their behalf before a meeting of the Council or a committee appointed by Council. Your personal information will be used by Council for the purpose of contacting you to provide feedback on the outcome of your submission. Details of written submissions received, including your name, may be included within the official Council Agendas and Minutes which are public documents and are made available on Council's website. Submissions are retained in accordance with the Public Records Act.